FAQs - Community Services

1. How can I start benefiting from Community Services?

The first point of contact is the Assessment & Intervention Team of Aġenzija Sapport. A person with disability requiring Community Service will first be assessed by professionals within the A&I team and once service is approved, a plan of service is drawn up to meet the requirements of the service user.

2. How can I contact the Community Team?

The Community Team may be contacted on 2256 8000 during the Agency’s opening hours (Monday to Friday between 08:00 and 16:30). The Team also has on-call system for service users once service commences, even for emergencies outside of office hours.

3. Who provides the service?

A team of qualified professionals will be involved from the service commencement to the overall provision and review of service. The team consists of a Service Manager, Senior Service Executive, Support Executives, and Administration executives, Occupational Therapist and Support Workers.

4. When is service provided?

Community Service can be provided from Monday to Friday from 07:00-20:00 and on Saturdays from 07.00-16.00 excluding Public and National Holidays, according to the needs of the service user and according availability of resources. Emergency or special requests are to be made to the professionals involved, are considered on individual basis, and can be granted service outside these hours.

5. Is the service free?

Yes, the service is free of charge. 

6. Can I use the service as baby sitting?

The service is not intended for baby sitting / child minding. The service is provided with a purpose to improve the quality of life of the person with disability through skill enhancement and socialisation.

7. Can I use Community Services for transport?

Community Services provides the opportunity to the service users to go from one place to another by transport. This is intended to empower the service users to ameliorate their daily living activities and needs in everyday life. However, Community Services cannot be used as a means of transport.

8. Can I use the service if I am a wheelchair user? 

Yes. If the service is required at home and the necessary equipment is available, one can easily utilise the service. If one requires skill enhancement outside in the community, the Agency uses wheelchair accessible vehicles. 

9. I already receive another service from Aġenzija Sapport. Can I also access Community Services?

Depending on the service and the aim of the service required, Community Services can be accessed in conjunction with:
  • Social Work Service
  • People Assistance Scheme
  • Day Services
  • Sign Language Interpretation
  • Sharing Lives
If a person resides in one of the Agency’s residences, Community Services cannot be accessed. 

10.    Are all workers Maltese?

Aġenzjia Sapport supports equal opportunities and adopts an all-inclusive philosophy. All persons employed by the Agency are qualified and trained according to national standards. We do strive to avoid challenging situation related to language barriers.

11. Can Support Workers give me my medication?

Support Workers employed by Aġenzija Sapport are permitted to give medications as instructed and prepared by the service user’s guardian or medical professional.

12. Are there any expenses requiring payment on behalf of the service user during Community Services?

When Service is provided by  Community Support Workers, transport and fuel costs are covered by the Agency. The service user has to cover expenses related to parking / entrance fees. 

13. I am not always available at the same time or on the same days. Can I still utilise Community Services?

Service regularity is dependent on the service user’s needs and based on the availabilities of the human resources available. The Community Support Workers will provide service based on a monthly schedule of assigned shift times.

14. I have a number of medical appointments that I need to attend but no one to accompany me. Can you help me?

Yes, we can provide a service tailor-made to your request depending on the number of medical appointments you need to attend.

15. What is Occupational Therapy and how is it involved in Community Services?

Occupational Therapy services include, but are not limited to, the assessment, education of, or consultation with, the individual, family or other persons; and interventions directed towards improving participation in daily activities. The Community Services involve Occupational Therapy to create Individual Support Programmes, which are comprehensive and include purposeful activity and intervention.

16. I am responsible for a person who has behaviour of concern. Will you still be able to provide services? 

A number of our staff are trained to handle persons who have behaviour of concern. The Community Services will attempt to create an appropriate programme for the person together with several other professionals to involve that person in everyday activities whilst minimising the risk of injury for both the service user and staff. Should the service be unable to cater for the needs of the person, Agency professionals will help the person explore other alternatives which are more suitable.

17. I am concerned that my personal information is given to people that I do not know. What does the agency do with my personal data?

Aġenzija Sapport abides by a strict data protection policy. All information is kept on record within the service. Information is only transferred with the consent of the individual and in line with the Service Agreement signed by the service user.​

18. Do I have access to my records? 

These records can be requested through the required channels and policies of Aġenzija Sapport.

19. I am not yet accessing Aġenzija Sapport services but I am now unable to care for myself or the person with disability I am responsible for. I need urgent help. What can I do?

Community Services does provide service on an emergency basis according to availability of resources and following an in-depth assessment conducted by the Assessment & Intervention team. Please contact the Assessment & Intervention team on 22568000 for more information.