FAQs - Residential Services

1. Who is eligible for a residential service?

Residential Services may be utilised by any individual with disability, both minors and adults, who requires such service. The service is not restricted to any type of impairment. Upon receiving a request, the Social Work Services will carry out the intake assessment through which they will identify what services are needed.
2. Visiting hours

There are no fixed visiting hours for residences, however those visiting the residents need to let the Leader or Support Executive of the respective residence know beforehand that they will be visiting.
3. Is the Residential Service given against payment?

When a service user starts residing at the residence, 60% of the disability pension is then transferred to the Agency, with the remaining 40% used for the service user’s needs and to purchase personal items. When a service user is unable to take care of his/her finances, these are administered by the Residence’s Leader and Sapport Executive together with the Agency’s Finance Department.
4. Are all applicants admitted into a residence?

Priority is given to individuals having a disability with challenging behavior, those who are most at risk of being institutionalised, or those who are in high need. The request submitted by the person with disability and/or his/her carers can be met if there is a vacancy within one of the residencies at a particular Residence. When such resources are not immediately accessible, Aġenzija Sapport will commit itself to help the person to find alternative placements in Non-Governmental Organisations. The identified persons with disability together with his/her parents/carers and the service providers are encouraged to participate in the Individual Support Plan and Person-Centered Planning process. The person with disability, his/her family, and/or service providers are involved as per the requirements of the particular service.
5. Where are the residences located?

The residences currently operating are:
                • ​​​​​​​Apartment in Fgura
    • Apartment in Kirkop
    • Apartment in Birżebbugia
    • A bungalow in Mtarfa – Villino Marija
    • A townhouse in Cospicua – Dar Andrew
    • A terraced house in Siġġiewi – Orkidea
    • 3 apartments in Victoria, Gozo – Dar il-Fjuri
    • 2 apartments and maisonette in Żurrieq - Ġiżimina 
    • A bungalow in Pembroke – Warda
    • Maisonette in Marsa Dar Ave Maria
    • Terraced house in Żabbar – Iris
The Agency also administers the provision of residential placements in Dar l-Arka in Għajnsielem (Gozo), Dar il-Ġublew tal-Ħniena in Għajnsielem (Gozo), Dar Pirotta in Birkirkara, Dar il-Wens in Kalkara, Shalom in Żurrieq, Dar l-Abilita in Kalkara, Dar Merħba in Fgura and an apartment in Naxxar.​​

6. Do the residents engage in any activities?

Each service user has his/her own individual programme. These programmes include activities such as attending to Special Olympics training, special therapeutic services and other leisure activities. Such activities are drafted out together with the service user in order to accommodate the leisure activities he/she would like to engage in. Other activities also include outings within the community in order to enhance social inclusion. During the day, some service users also attend Day Centres, follow education programmes and employment.

7. Who takes care of the clients?

Service users are monitored 24 hours a day by Sapport Workers. The Support Workers ensure that the basic service users’ needs are seen to as well as their individual programmes are followed on a daily basis in order to enhance independence. The Support Workers are specially-trained employees within the disability field. These are then led and monitored by the Leader and Sapport Executive of the respective residence.
8. Is there a waiting list once application to reside in a residence is submitted?

There is a waiting list however each case is assessed and services are allocated on each case’s own merits. Priority is given to persons with disability at risk of institutionalisation, homelessness and others.