The aim of this scheme is to provide support and financial assistance to persons with disability and their families to acquire a means of transportation suitable for their needs.
An application form is to be submitted together with:
- a copy of the EU Disability Card
- a copy of the driving licence
The application should be submitted to Aġenzija Sapport before the vehicle is purchased.
- It is important that the vehicle is NOT purchased and registered in Malta before passing through the whole process and a letter of Approval from the Ministry of Finance and Employment is issued.
- The vehicle that will eventually be purchased must not have an active Maltese registration.
- If the vehicle is registered before or during the processing phase, then the application will be closed. This would also mean that the applicant can only apply for the Road License Exemption on registered vehicle.
- Furthermore, if the individual is applying for the first time, or if their vehicle requirements have altered from a previous application, they will be required to attend to an appointment with the Occupational Therapist for assessment.
Once all documents are completed, the application is then sent to the Ministry for Finance and Employment for the Board’s consideration. The decision letter granting exemption from payment of the vehicle registration tax is issued by the Ministry for Finance and Employment.